Two years. Two glorious, little sister-free years of soaking up all of mom and dad’s attention. Two years of absolute, distraction-free doting. It’s too bad you won’t remember it, but your dad and I will. We can assure you that it has been amazing. You were our foray into the world of parenting! You were the fantastic little person that made your dad and I into a real team. You were our first glimpse into the innocent, pure, painfully sweet world of a tiny person. And now we’re hooked. So hooked, we’re giving it another go! Your little sister is on her way, and unlike you when you were born, she’s giving us a little time to prepare for her arrival, both mentally and physically. So here I sit, in my hotel room at the Marriott Hotel, just a few minutes away from Bumrungrad Hospital, waiting for my daughter (and husband!) to arrive. She should be here sometime tomorrow. Meanwhile, you’ll be in the care of some kind, loving friends for the next few days, as well as our mae bahn, Kai. You’ll likely be a bit confused, but you’d best just get used to that feeling. There are some big changes ahead, my friend, and life is never going to be the same again.
Here’s what you know:
- There’s a baby in mommy’s tummy.
- Mommy’s tummy is big, and yours is small.
- Her name (though you sometimes call our mae bahn by the same name, much to our chagrin).
- The butterflies, crib, toys, and clothes that have infiltrated our house are for her.
Here’s what I want you to know:
- She’s the coolest birthday present you’ll get this year (it’s about 12 days until your birthday).
- Take it from a girl with 4 brothers-she will idolize you.
- She could be your very best friend in the whole world.
- Your dad and I have enough love for both of you. You will not be forgotten, sweet Dori.
- Mommy’s tummy will get smaller. Thank goodness.
So now I’m going to spend a little time resting, looking out at the Bangkok skyline, and preparing my heart for another sweet angel. Dorian, your dad and I couldn’t have been luckier than to have you be our first child. You’ve set the bar high with your sweetness, your playfulness, your sense of humour, your gentle energy, your empathy, and your loving nature. You’re going to be the best big brother around. See you soon, sweet bug!